Thursday, December 6, 2018

The Oneirosphere



I think that there are two ways to think about the oneirosphere, the first being a stratum in an individual's psyche, and the second, as a social stratum. The collective consciousness is an amorphous and kaleidoscopic thing, yet it is possible that there are certain layers distinct from others, and in which the Oneirosphere is one of them. The oneirosphere is distinct, of course, from the 'collective unconscious', which only refers to unconscious elements in the collective psyche which are merely hidden - while the oneirosphere is something more like the dream plane. 

The dream plane, is not, however, merely the psychic field where people pour in their dreams that they had last night wherein they all swirl around together - instead we should have more nuanced definitions of dreams. Does the waking mind not dream and fantasize and hallucinate without being involved in abnormal circumstances? How are daydreams different in terms of their substance? At what point does a supposedly unreal experience, whether in the mind or beyond its porous borders, leave pure fantasy and enter into an ambiguous realm breaking away in some way from reality?

Returning to the individual oneirosphere, I would again say that it is not merely the unconscious, which after all is not exclusively defined through dreams, but the oneiric composition of the waking mind. As someone who has many dreams, I find that my dreams of the night are in some way shaping the contours of my mind for the coming day, like a baker with their dough. I might be a pretzel, bagel, or croissant, or even just a shapeless wad; the oneirosphere is part of the topology of the mind whether awake or asleep. By its very nature though, there is no science that can ever fully conceptualize it, and any sort of metaphor for the mind at large will fail to encapsulate its many forms. The only point here is that dreams, dreammaking, and the organics of fantasy are part of the very fabric of waking life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CURRENT THOUGHTS

I'm having a hard time accepting my life anymore these days. The past several days I've been feeling sad which is nice to feel again...